Listen to the Message
1 John 3:11-18
The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. (Galatians 5:6)
The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." (Galatians 5:14)
We need to do our part in cultivating the Spirit's fruit.
Potential to practice to perfection.
Love is not a feeling.
Love is not an option.
Love is not even a new idea.
Love your neighbor as yourself. (Leviticus 19:18)
1. Treat Others As Your Equal.
- "Remember, you too are mortal."
- "A proud man is always looking down on things and people." C.S. Lewis
- Love and contempt do not mix.
- We have all the same potential.
2. Treat Others With Compassion.
- Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like to live inside somebody else's skin.
- "You're worth the effort."
- The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.
- "Today I will do for you what you can't do for yourself ... because you're worth it."
3. Take the first step.
- This is a natural inclination, but it's not a Spirit-led inclination.
- Love has no fear of taking the first step.
- Knowledge is good, but it's not a matter of life and death.
- If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:2)
- Now it's time for us to show what love is ... in the way we serve others.