Listen to the Message
1 Corinthians 9:24-27
Holy Spirit, I pray this day that you will fill me with your self and cause your fruit to ripen in my life: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
....against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:23
You can’t go wrong with any of these qualities.
Christian character is defined, to a great extent, by how you treat others.
“By their fruit you will recognize them.” Matthew 7:16
We’re to be joy-makers.
Growing in the fruit of the spirit is not a passive experience or an accidental occurrence.
“All of the knowledge in the world won’t do you any good if you can’t control your own passions and desires.” Socrates
Unbridled passion has been wrecking lives for thousands of years.
God doesn’t need to practice self-control, because His desires are never out of control.
Without self-control, the other qualities of the fruit of the spirit will always be hit-and-miss.
1. Understand the Significance of all that is at Stake.
- We take that immediate payoff if indulging an impulse without giving serious consideration to what the long-term results might be.
- In order to cultivate self-control, we need to learn to look at the big picture.
- It’s too important to miss for the sake of mere satisfaction.
- Every action has future implications.
2. Understand the Significance of each particular Moment.
- I do what I do with a sense of direction and purpose.
- There’s no just-this-once clause in the Christian life.
- How much sun can I get away with and still go to heaven?
3. Understand the Significance of every minor Victory.
- There’s a principle in the Christian life that smaller victories lead to greater victories.
- Every small victory in the area of self-control leads to a greater victory.
- Begin today to implement small victories into your routine.
- This victory comes to you step by step.
- Self-control is the one aspect of the fruit of the Spirit that oftentimes sustains the others.
- When you do what you can, He’ll do what you can’t.