Listen to the Message
Jeremiah 32:6 And Jeremiah said, The word of the LORD came unto me, saying, 7 Behold, Hanameel the son of Shallum thine uncle shall come unto thee, saying, Buy thee my field that is in Anathoth: for the right of redemption is thine to buy it. 8 So Hanameel mine uncle's son came to me in the court of the prison according to the word of the LORD, and said unto me, Buy my field, I pray thee, that is in Anathoth, which is in the country of Benjamin: for the right of inheritance is thine, and the redemption is thine; buy it for thyself. Then I knew that this was the word of the LORD Jeremiah received this strange word from God in 588 B.C. It was a strange word because of the times in which he lived there in Jerusalem.
Logic said this was not the time to invest money in a real estate deal: Jail, the siege, enemy troops possessing the recently purchased property; the coming judgment etc.
BUT GOD’S METHODOLOGY IS NOT BASED ON LOGIC. Despite the critical situation, God gave this strange order to Jeremiah to invest in real estate.
Why would God give such a rare command?
I. GOD HAD HIS REASONS
A. God had & has future plans.
B. Even in tough times God is at work for something far better.
C. There are two main reasons that God operates this way.
1. Because of whom we are: HIS ADOPTED CHILDREN. The
word says, “for the right of redemption is thine to buy it.”
2. Because of Whom He Is: As the Creator and Owner of this
II. Jeremiah Understands and Believes
A. Jeremiah prays, meditates, and reflects on the request
B. Jeremiah concludes that he can obey God with a new confidence in four great truths. He understands that God was and forever will BE:
C. The God of Great POWER
1. V. 17 Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the
earth by your great power and outstretched arm. Nothing is too hard for you.”
D. The God of Great Purpose
1. V. 19 “Great are your purposes and mighty are your deeds. Your
eyes are open to all the ways of men; you reward everyone according to his
conduct and as his deeds deserve.”
E. The God of Great Performance
1. V. 20 y 21 “ You performed miraculous signs and wonders in Egypt and have continued them to this day, both in Israel and among all mankind, and have gained renown that is still yours. You brought 2 your people out of Egypt with signs and wonders, by a mighty hand and an outstretched arm and with great terror.
F. The God of answered prayers
1. Jer. 33:3 “Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.”
With these FOUR great truths in mind let us pray.